$44 billion in federal funding for 55 major programs across Florida are guided by Census data, according to George Washington University’s Counting for Dollars 2020 study.
These local programs rely on census data for funding…
- Head Start early childhood education
- School lunch program
- Healthcare for the homeless
- Children’s health insurance program
- Affordable housing programs
- Community development grants
- Fire department assistance grant
- Public transit
- Federal highway projects
The Census count determines our state’s representation in Congress. Changes in our local population may also result in redistricting political boundaries – that is, revising the geographic boundaries where we elect our representatives, from the U.S House to your local city council.