In Pinellas County, flooding and other drainage problems can result after several inches of rain in a short period of time or after several days of continued rain. Over the past 20 years, our community has experienced numerous rainfall events causing flood damage. Hurricanes, tropical storms and other threatening weather can present flood hazards to residents due to high tides, storm surges caused by winds, and heavy rainfall.
If you are looking at buying a property, it is a good idea to check out the possible flood hazards before you buy. Most homeowners insurances do not cover flood damage. Talk to your insurance provider about your policy and consider if you need additional coverage.
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) helps provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves if additional coverage is required. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners if their community participates in the NFIP. Unincorporated Pinellas County participates in the NFIP. To find out how much flooding could cost you, estimate your premium and learn more about the NFIP visit www.FloodSmart.gov .
Get more information on the following topics:
- Building Smart: Protect your property from flooding. Find out what permits are required, learn how to build responsibly and protect your home.
Know Your Flood Risk Before Buying A Home
- Flood Insurance: Understand flood insurance. Find out if you should or are required to get flood insurance.
- Floodplain Protection: Learn about protecting natural floodplains. Floodplain management is the operation of a community program of corrective and preventative measures for reducing flood damage. These measures take a variety of forms and generally include requirements for zoning, subdivision or building and special-purpose floodplain ordinances.
- Maps/Zones: Find out your flood risks. The Pinellas County Flood Map Service Center, includes interactive maps with flood risk information including FEMA flood zones, hurricane evacuation zones, storm surge, and more.
- Warning System / Notification Options/ Safety:
Stay connected and Prepare Ahead. Find out what warnings to expect and how to prepare.
- American Red Cross / Diaster Relief - Learn how to keep your family safe during a flood, and how to clean up a flooded home.
- Community Rating System
- Elevation Certificates
- Flood Information Guide
- For Realtors - Know the Flood Risk
- Make a Difference - Only Rain Down the Drain
All about your property,
neighborhood and local
fire depts., schools,
hospitals and more.