Pinellas County recognized the importance of manatee protection and instituted policies to protect seagrass beds and other habitats for endangered and threatened species. By early 1998, Pinellas County had completed updates and adopted significant revisions to the Comprehensive Plan to support such measures as enforcing no-wake zones, seagrass protection areas, and providing manatee caution signage.
What you can do
- Secure items on your vessel or near any waterbodies.
- Bring a container with a lid to store plastic bags or fishing line.
- Collect all plastic items or fishing line you see.
- To report a sick or injured manatee, please contact FWC via the Wildlife Alert Hotline at 1-888-404-3922.
- FWC Manatee Program
- FWC Manatee Research
- Manatee Webcams
- Manatee Protection Zone Information
- Save the Manatee License Plate