Public Works CIP Project Update
Last updated September 2020
Roosevelt Creek Channel 5 Improvements
Project ID# 002123A
Roosevelt Creek Channel 5, north of Executive Drive/Old Roosevelt Boulevard and east of Evergreen Avenue in Clearwater.
The main goal of this project is to remove the existing salinity weir (concrete wall) to create a more natural connection to Tampa Bay that will allow the passage of aquatic organisms and improve flood flows. This project will also include the removal of accumulated sediment in Channel 5 from Executive Drive north to the existing weir, stabilization of the banks where necessary, and habitat restoration in the area immediately adjacent to the existing weir.
The county completed a comprehensive Preliminary Engineering Report (PER) providing alternatives for flood protection and water quality benefits in 2016. This project implements Alternative 2 of the PER, which provides flood protection benefits, sediment removal, and habitat improvements within Channel 5, with the added benefit of establishing a more natural connection between Channel 5 and Old Tampa Bay.
- Design is complete; however the low bid received for construction was rejected as of December 26, 2019 due to the total being too high for the scope of work advertised for the project. The County has separated the project into two phases (dredging as phase I and then weir removal/restoration as phase II) to expedite and simplify the re-bidding process.
- Phase I (estimated)
- Construction Start: September 2020
- Construction End: January 2021
- Phase II (estimated)
- Construction Start: October 2021
- Construction End: December 2022
This project is funded through the Penny for Pinellas program. Partial funding from SWFWMD CFI is pending.
Project Contact: Jennifer Shannon, PE -- Project Manager
Public Works Stormwater Engineering
14 S. Ft. Harrison Ave., 4th Floor
Clearwater, FL 33756
For a print-friendly version of this page, please select Print at the top right of this web page under the Search box.