Pinellas County Government Internships (Non-Paid)
Gain job experience and build your resume while creating important connections to professionals in your field.
High school and college students currently enrolled, in good standing, in an educational program that has a formal academic student internship component may apply for a Pinellas County Government internship. The internship has to be for academic credit or offered through the school’s program.
It's easy to become a intern:
- Review the positions to select those of interest.
- Complete a quick, easy application.
- A volunteer site coordinator will contact you by phone or email.
- Questions? Call Volunteer Services at (727) 464-3367, option 2.
Please check back often since this page is updated regularly.
Opportunities are listed by department in alphabetical order:
Convention & Visitors Bureau
Did you know the St. Pete/Clearwater area is the #1 tourist destination on the Gulf Coast of the United States, and tourism is the area’s #1 employer?
Pinellas County’s official marketing agency is the Convention & Visitors Bureau, also known as Visit St. Pete/Clearwater.
- Community & Brand Engagement Intern (blend of remote and on-site in Clearwater) - Assist with event logistics, marketing, sponsorship, contracts, business development, community relations, inventory, and customer service.
Economic Development works with existing businesses to encourage expansion and seeks to attract new companies with high-wage careers to Central Florida's Gulf Coast. Through investment tools, professional courses and business counseling sessions, trade missions to open new markets, as well as local, regional and statewide partnerships, Economic Development staff fosters a pro-business climate in Pinellas County, Florida.
- Graphic Design Intern (remote and on-site in Clearwater) - Design clear engaging graphic communications for print and web. This will include marketing and communication brochures, website and social media graphics, posters, flyers, and other marketing materials. Ideal candidate is a creative self-starter with attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills. Must be proficient in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and/or other common design applications.
Forward Pinellas serves as the Pinellas Planning Council and Metropolitan Planning Organization to provide guidance on local decisions and transportation planning.
- Communications Intern (remote or on-site in Clearwater) - Work on social media, graphic design, website design and maintenance, blog writing and marketing. Ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with excellent writing skills and an ability to learn new technology and processes quickly. A background in photography and/or videography is a plus.
Human Resources provides personnel services for the Pinellas County Unified Personnel System which includes over 3,100 employees. Staff provide expert services related to recruiting, performance management, benefits, wellness, compensation, learning opportunities, employee relations, recognition, employee communication and volunteers.
- Graphic Design Intern (combo remote and on-site in Clearwater) - Design clear engaging graphic communications for print and web. This will include marketing and communication brochures, website and social media graphics, posters, flyers, and other marketing materials. Ideal candidate is a creative self-starter with attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills. Must be proficient in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and/or other common design applications.
- Social Media/Communications Intern (combo remote and on-site in Clearwater) -
Work on social media, blog writing and marketing. This position will assist in managing all social media content creation and posting, understanding social media trends, and scheduling posts as needed. Ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with excellent writing skills. Graphic design experience is a plus.
- Video Intern (combo remote and on-site in Clearwater) - Work with staff to create video ads for social media, build brand promotion, research department-related content to share with social media followers, and contribute to other creative developments. Ideal candidate has a knowledge of graphic design and social media platforms plus skill in editing photos and videos.
- Web Support/Editing Intern (combo remote and on-site in Clearwater) -
Assist with copy editing for website design and maintenance. Assist the team with website migration from the current Dreamweaver site to the new WordPress site by comparing the two sites and making edits. Ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with attention to detail, excellent proofreading skills and an ability to learn new technology and processes quickly. A background in copy editing or WordPress is a plus.
Management & Budget
Management & Budget provides budget and financial management services for Pinellas County Government. Staff are responsible for the development and administration of a $2.7 billion dollar budget in collaboration with a diverse group of departments, agencies and independent partners.
- Socrata Intern (remote) - Assist with data management and maintenance of the Socrata performance dashboards which includes day-to-day tasks as well as larger data projects.
Public Works manages infrastructure and environmental resources for Pinellas County. Services include mowing, urban forestry, mosquito control, traffic control, sidewalks, roads, drainage, and bridge maintenance.
- Engineer Student Intern (on-site, Clearwater) - Assist with quality control by reviewing plans and performing quantity take offs.
Duties may include drainage and transportation research, cost estimation and information tracking, infrastructure design using AutoCAD and/or GIS; document and permit preparation, asset management and project management support, and other tasks for civil, transportation, stormwater and environmental projects. Must have completed basic hydrology and hydraulics, transportation or construction management courses at an ABET-accredited university.
- Environmental Management Intern (on-site, Clearwater and County-wide) - Assist with tasks related to environmental surface watershed or coastal regulations, assessment, and restoration. Duties may include field data or sample collection and preparations, inspections, public education and materials distribution, data entry, restoration activities, and other technical software-based analysis or editing. Must have an interest in environmental science, policy, compliance, and enforcement; be willing to provide driving record information; and be comfortable working in water with the ability to swim.
Solid Waste & Recycling
Solid Waste processes a million tons of trash a year in the Waste-to-Energy Facility in St. Petersburg, plus offers drop-off recycling, recycled mulch and hazardous waste recycling/disposal.
- Water/Wastewater Plant Operations Intern (on-site) - Work under the supervision of a licensed operator at the Industrial Wastewater Treatment Facility located at the Waste-to-Energy Facility. Perform scheduled and preventive maintenance checks on equipment and operational systems, water quality sampling, and data management.
Utilities - South Cross Bayou
South Cross Bayou Water Reclamation Facility located in St. Petersburg is the largest wastewater treatment facility in Pinellas County. The facility recovers resources from wastewater including reclaimed water for irrigation, biosolids for fertilizer pellets, and gas for renewable energy. Staff is responsible for operation of the wastewater facility and close to 200 pump stations.
- Plant Operations Intern (on-site) - Work on quality control with SCADA programmers, in warehouse support, as an assistant to a mechanic or electrician, or do basic lab work. Duties may include some clerical and clean-up related tasks. Must be enrolled in a related high school or college program.
Utilities - Water Quality
Utilities staff is committed to the highest standard of service to deliver clean water and protect our community and waterways for generations to come. The Water Quality team monitors and tests water throughout the water distribution system. The Industrial Wastewater Pretreatment Program protects waterways by controlling wastewater discharge from industry and non-domestic sources to municipal sewer collection systems and treatment facilities.
- Water Quality Division Intern (on-site in Largo) – Assist water quality specialists with duties such as collection and sampling of the water distribution system, educational materials, customer complaint response, monitoring and collection of field data, industrial user site inspections, and community events. Work may involve drinking water projects and programs, wastewater regulatory and industrial pretreatment programs, grease management ordinance, and sewer system overflow response and surface water sampling.